Specialty Flooring is any flooring that is sustainable, eco-friendly, contains recycled content, is recyclable, leaves a small carbon footprint or has low VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compound). There are different degrees of green when referring to different types of flooring.
Learn More about Cork Flooring
- Better than a renewable resource because it is a harvested resource (only the bark is harvested from the tree)
- A recycled product because cork floors are made from the waste cork that makes wine stoppers.
- A law in the 1930’s called “The 9 Year Law” was passed to keep cork from being harvested any sooner than every 9 years. The tree has to reach 60 cm in circumference before it can be harvested. The first harvest from a cork tree can only occur at age 25.
- The tree is not destroyed or damaged when harvesting cork.
- To complete the environmentally sound process, water based finishes and adhesives should be used.
Learn More about Bamboo Flooring
- Bamboo is a rapidly renewing resource that matures in three years
- It regenerates without need for replanting
- It also requires minimal fertilization or pesticides
- There currently is no FSC certified bamboo so it is important to see what you can confirm about the bamboo you are interested in before purchasing.